Wednesday, March 10, 2010

RIP - Other Aaron

I'm not a big fan of death in general. It's not fun. It's not a happy time, even when people try to make it so. It's very rarely a comfortable transition for the party directly involved.

A friend of mine passed away yesterday. He wasn't a real close friend, but he was a guy I've known for about 10 years and played volleyball with more times than I can count. To be honest I was always a little jealous of him. You'd watch him in the sand and it looked like he never tried. He wasn't that much taller than me, he couldn't jump higher than me (in fact the last few times I saw him play he couldn't jump at all), but he dominated in a way I could only dream of. On top of that, he was one of the nicest, friendliest guys I've ever known. Literally, everyone loved him. He was 37 years old, had a wife and kids; way too young to be gone.

I spent the last couple hours going through pictures on my computer for a picture of him to stick up here. Sadly, I couldn't find one. I did find one which is sort of fitting. For my friend, this game is over. I imagine he's at a place now where the weather is always perfect, the sand is soft, and his aching knees no longer hold him down. Somewhere in heaven is a beach with perfect sand, and it's being put to good use today. See you when I get there Aaron.


No comments: